Pebble Beach is closed to cyclists this weekend, but there are two rides planned for Saturday morning (August 19) preceding the Velo Club Picnic in Carmel Valley. Come join in if you can…
Long Ride – Big Arroyo Seco Loop. Start/meet at the Coniglio Family House at 7am, climb Laureles Grade, Hwy 68 to River Road, Arroyo Seco and back over Cahoon Summit into Carmel Valley (about 87 miles). There will be water stops at Zabala Vineyards before the big climb and also we’re caching water at Cahoon Summit so you won’t go dry.
Shorter Ride – Climb to Cahoon Summit (with Cachagua Loop option on the way back) ride leaving at 9 am, also from Coniglio Family House (or optionally you can pick up the ride in Carmel Valley Village in front of Wild Goose Cafe/Bakery on Carmel Valley Rd around 9:15. About 40 miles (46 with the optional Cachagua Loop).
Shower and swimming pool available at the end of the ride!
Ride Start (and Picnic) location:
437 Laureles Grade
Carmel Valley, CA 93924
The VCM Summer Picnic is Saturday, August 19 from 2-6pm. This year we’re moving to a new location – the Coniglio Family House on Laureles Grade in Carmel Valley – which features lots of room, a big grill, swimming pool, and even a shower for those who ride and want to clean up.
THE PICNIC: VCM provides barbecued burgers, sausages, hot dogs and the fixings, as well as coolers/ice, plates and utensils and non-alcoholic beverages. BYO Beer, Wine or other alcoholic drinks. Also we ask that members bring salads/side, appetizers or desserts to share.
- If your last name starts with A-H bring a dessert.
- If your last name starts with I-Q bring a salad or side dish.
- If your last name starts with R-Z bring an appetizer.
THE RIDES: Long Ride – Big Arroyo Seco Loop. Start/meet at the Coniglio Family House at 7am, climb Laureles Grade, Hwy 68 to River Road, Arroyo Seco and back over Cahoon Summit into Carmel Valley (about 87 miles). Shorter Ride – Climb to Cahoon Summit (with Cachagua Loop option on the way back) ride leaving at 9am. If you get back early, you can help setup the picnic or take a dip in the pool to cool off.
RSVP via Evite no later than August 12th so we can get a head count and know how much to bring. If you are planning on riding that morning, please mention what ride you will be doing in your RSVP comments. You can also RSVP at firstname.lastname@example.org The Summer Picnic is free for VCM members. We do ask that any non-members give a $10 donation to the club.
We look forward to seeing you at the Summer Picnic!
Earlier this year the club hosted an Introduction to Group Riding class for local cyclists. A number of members mentioned that nearly all riders could stand to be reminded of the etiquette, safety and skills needed to ride with a group of other cyclists. So here you go…
- Take responsibility for the safety of the group
- Ride predictably
- Learn to “Hold your Line” – Ride a straight line without any wobbles or sudden swerves
- Don’t overlap wheels
- Communicate to other riders
Safe Riding around other cyclists:
- Communicate to other riders: Use hand signals and communicate verbally for: turning, slowing, and stopping. Point out and verbalize road hazards or other road conditions that riders behind you may not see such as: “pothole”, “stick”, “glass”, “bike up”, “runner up”, “car up”, “car back”, “on your left”, or the always popular, “young mom with double baby stroller and Chihuahua puppy on leash coming up”.