Get ahead of the curve for for your 2020 cycling calendar. Here’s your Velo Club “Event Planner” for the first half of the year.
Velo Club Events
- Bowling Party – Sunday Feb. 23, 2-4pm – Monterey Lanes
CLICK HERE TO RSVP VIA EVITE
- Movie Nite – A Sunday in Hell – Wed., Feb. 26, 6:30pm
– Mad Dogs & Englishman, Carmel
- Vintage Bike Ride (Steel is Real!) – Sunday, March 22nd
- Sea Otter Gran Fondo Rest Stop Support – Saturday, April 18th
- Highway One Bike Path Cleanup – Tuesday, May 12, 1-3pm
- Memorial Day Pie Ride to Gizdich Ranch – Monday, May 25
- VCM Laguna Seca Twilight Cycling – Wed., June 10, 5:30
Upcoming Organized Rides
Click the links to learn more and register for these rides.
- Eroica California – Cambria – April 4-5
- Tierra Bella – Gilroy – Saturday, April 25
- Wildflower Century – Creston (near Paso Robles) – Saturday, April 25
- I Care Classic – Morgan Hill – Saturday, May 9
- Sonoma Backroad Challenge – Santa Rosa – Saturday, May 16
- Strawberry Fields Forever – Watsonville – Sunday, May 17
We hope to see you at some of these events.
Welcome to the New Year! If you haven’t done so already, please take a few minutes to renew your Velo Club Monterey membership for 2020. If you don’t need a hard sell on why you should renew, just follow the simple 4 steps below. If you need more persuasion, skip to below the photo and read on…
Velo Club Membership Renewal
- Click this link to get to the 2020 VCM Membership Application.
- Complete the form and print it out. If you access the form from a computer (not a mobile device) you can type your information directly into the form from either your web browser, or if you download the form, in your PDF Reader. Make sure you sign and initial it in the spaces marked in Red.
- Write a check to Velo Club Monterey for the amount ($50 – Family, $35 – Individual or $10 – Junior). Note: You can pay your membership fee online via Paypal here, but we still need your completed and signed form.
- Mail your completed Membership form and payment to:
Velo Club Monterey, P.O. Box 1404, Monterey, CA 93942.
Please renew now – it’s a real pain for your board to spend the first half of the year chasing down membership forms and dues.
The “Hard Sell”…
Here’s 21 reasons to join Velo Club Monterey…
- A great bunch of like-minded friends to go on rides with!
- Your Velo Club membership card gets you 10%-15% discounts at Bobcat Bicycles in Salinas, Peninsula Bike Works and Work Horse Bicycles in Monterey, and Winning Wheels in Pacific Grove. Mad Dogs and Englishmen in Carmel also offers a free, one-hour, E-bike rental to any Member as well as 10% off service and accessories.
- Discounts at Light and Motion, our local bicycle lighting manufacturer, is offering discounts between 10 and 15% to club members.
- Alvarado Street Brewery offers members a 10% “Neighborhood Discount” on food with a membership card.
- We are bicycling advocates with a representative on the Transportation Agency of Monterey County (TAMC), and we donate time and money to local bicycling causes.
- Summer Picnic & Barbecue
- Annual Holiday Party
- Movie Nites
- Bowling Party
- Bocce Ball
- Santa Cycle Ride
- Brats & Beer Twilight Ride Nights at Laguna Seca
- Three Saturday Morning Rides
- Tuesday Morning “No Real Job Ride”
- Thursday afternoon BWC (Beer, Wine or Coffee) ride almost always ending at Alvarado Street Brewery!
- New Year’s Day Ride (with Champagne at the top of Cahoon Summit!)
- Pie Rides to Gizdich Ranch
- Vintage “Steel is Real” Ride
- Support for Sea Otter Gran Fondo rest stops
- Traveling bike boxes to loan for your next plane trip
- Park tools to borrow for your next repair
Thanks for being a member. We hope you can join us again in 2020.
If it’s New Year’s Day, it must be time to kick off 2020 with a Carmel Valley Road climb to the top of Cahoon Summit.
Slower climbers start at 8:30 with the rest beginning at 9am from in front of the Trailside Cafe in Carmel Valley Village. We’ll climb 18 miles up to the summit and celebrate the New Year together with a little Champagne before turning around and descending.
Here are all the details:
- Date: Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020
- Start/Finish: Trailside Cafe, 3 Del Fino Pl, Carmel Valley
- Start time: 9am (8:30 for slower climbers)
- Route: Carmel Valley to Cahoon Summit and back
- Distance: Out and back is 36 miles
- Refreshments: A taste of Champagne at the top
While the weather is supposed to be mostly sunny, it’ll most likely be cold at the start, so layer up for the ride. The Trailside Cafe opens at 8 so you can caffeinate before the ride. Post-ride we can gather there and depending on the weather either cool down or warm up!
Start the year off with a Climb to Cahoon on New Year’s Day. We hope to see you there!
It’s time to get your Santa suit ready – the 4th Annual Santa Cycle Ride is this Saturday, December 21st at 12 noon beginning at the Monterey Wharf.
Santa Cycle is a short 10 mile cruise from the Wharf to Pacific Grove and back to Monterey. As is our custom, we’ll stop mid-ride at Rich Campbell’s Santa-themed house in PG for Mulled Cider and Holiday Cookies for 45 minutes or so and then return for a loop through downtown Monterey.
And this year Christina Cuva-Rodriguez is hosting a post ride get-together with wine, beer, beef stew and vegetarian minestrone at her home which is just a short ride from downtown Monterey on Via Mirada.Santa Cycle is not limited to Velo Club members. All Santa Riders (in their holiday suit) are welcome to ride.
Meet up at Fisherman’s Wharf in Monterey by 11:50 so we can organize and roll out at noon. Also, non-riders are welcome to meet us at Rich’s house as well around 12:30 or so. It’s on Short St. across from the Baseball Park in Pacific Grove. Here is a link to view the Santa Cycle Course Map.
Support Fremont St. Mission for Homeless Women
One again this year, we’re raising funds on the Santa Cycle ride for Lois Varner and the Fremont Street Mission for Homeless Women, a charity that reaches out to local elderly homeless women. Lois uses donations to purchase and distribute items such as blankets, gloves, warm socks, food cards, laundry cards, bus and gas cards to homeless women in the area. Her assistance is limited to $10 per week per person, so any funds we raise for her will impact a large number of women. We will ask Cycle Santa riders to donate what they can to help her Mission at the end of the ride.
If you plan to join us at Christina’s after the ride, please RSVP by responding to this email at email@example.com so we can get a headcount. I’ll send you her address privately so you can park near her house prior to the ride if you wish.
We hope to see you at Cycle Santa 2019 this Saturday, Dec. 21st!
The Annual Velo Club Monterey Holiday Party is Saturday, December 14th from 6 to 10pm. For the third year, we’re at the Pacific Grove Museum of Natural History! Join us for great food and drink, music and dancing, and a fun evening with your cycling friends.
The club supplies main courses including Salmon, Ribs and Tri-Tip, plus non-alcoholic beverages. We ask attending members to bring a complimentary dish and your choice of beer or wine to share. To make sure we cover all the bases, we suggest you bring the following dish based on the first letter of your last name:
- A-G – bring a Salad or Side dish
- H-Z – bring an Appetizer
Note that we already have desserts covered separately.
Please do not bring serving spoons with you – we are providing these from the club. Also if you bring a Vegetarian or Gluten Free dish, please let us know so we can indicate them on the tables.
A reminder that we also ask for donations to help out those who are less fortunate. Please bring in packaged or canned goods for the Food Bank of Monterey County. The donation barrel will be at the front door. Additionally we’ll raffle some cool cycling stuff from Winning Wheels, BikeWorks, WorkHorse Bicycles and Mad Dogs & Englishmen – all proceeds of the raffle go to Dorothy’s Kitchen.
Bring your 2020 Membership Form and Payment
Please bring your completed membership form for 2020 along with your check for payment to renew your membership for next year. Membership rates are the same as the last few years: $35 for Individuals, $50 for Families and $10 for Juniors (under 18). We’ll have forms on hand, but much easier to do it in advance so you can download the form here: VCM Membership Form.
The cost to attend the Holiday Party for members and guests is $20. Members who have volunteered throughout the year have earned free attendance to the party (Visit here to see if you are on the list.) You can either pay the night of the party, or in advance via PayPal. Click this link to pay for you or your guest online: Holiday Party Pre-Pay.
We look forward to seeing you at the Velo Club Holiday Party!